Thursday, July 23, 2009

Shoe Therapy

"
I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes, I had one thousand and sixty." - Imelda Marcos


The unrelenting rain and thoughts of my baby leaving home, have dampened my spirits in the past few days. I've been feeling a bit gray. Though I'm usually up early and quite prepared to take on the day, the pouring rain this morning made me want to pull the covers over my head and stay in bed all day. Alas, I had two meetings scheduled downtown so I got myself into the bath, did my hair, dressed and headed downtown. Traffic was lousy so I arrived and parked at the Eaton Centre (on the roof) with barely enough time to race to my lunch meeting in the Simpson's Tower.

The route to my appointment took me through the shoe department at The Bay. I noticed the "Take an extra 30% off signs" but didn't have time to shop. The truth is, I don't need shoes. I think I've probably outdone Imelda by a few pairs. When I arrived for my lunch, I learned that it was, in fact, scheduled for a half hour later than I thought - enough time to go visit the shoe department at The Bay.

There is nothing quite like a new pair of shoes to brighten my spirits. The great thing about shoes is that I know that even if I gain or lose a few pounds, my shoes will still fit. The pair I bought today are in multi hues of blue, a perfect match to the dress I had on. I put the pair I was wearing in my purse and wore the new ones to my meeting. It was a business development meeting and though I've spoken by phone to the woman I met with several times, we hadn't met face-to-face until today. I don't know if she noticed my new shoes but if she did, she no doubt noted how cute they are.

Right after that meeting, I raced to the next meeting at King and Yonge. When I finished a couple of hours later, the sun was out. I think my new shoes might have lifted God's spirits too - further proof that God is a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment