Sunday, July 5, 2009

Connecting Around The World

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
- Alice Kahn -


Happy Sunday! I've been thinking about the wonders of technology today. We hear a lot about how technology has separated us and in many ways I think that is true. It used to drive me crazy when sitting at the office, I would get an e-mail from someone twenty feet away from my door instead of a phone call or a face to face dialogue. No doubt some people use e-mail as a way to avoid real dialogue. But today I'm focused on how e-mail brings us together.

My friends Brian and Gail are each on their own adventures in different parts of the world. Brian is in Israel on a business trip. As an on-air sports journalist and Canadian icon, Brian is enjoying an adventure few of us will ever have a chance to experience. But as the generous man he is, he has been e-mailing us with up-dates on what he is seeing and feeling. It has been wonderful to be a part of his great adventure. I can hardly wait to see pictures when he returns and to hear every detail. In days before the internet, I would have been a bit anxious about my friend being in the places Brian has ventured into but with our ability to communicate frequently and easily by e-mail, I have continual reassurance of his safety and well being.

Gail is on her own excellent adventure. For the next three weeks she will be going through her MBA orientation at Royal Roads University in Victoria. Gail and I have spent a lot of time together in the past year, and three weeks is a long time to be out of touch. But thanks to the wonders of e-mail I know that she arrived safely, what her dorm room looks like and what she had for breakfast. She will have a great time of learning and growth over these three weeks and I also know she will take me along with her.

Jacob's high school mentor is teaching in Uganda this summer. It has been thrilling to follow her adventure through her blog. Melody writes with a richness that makes me feel the Ugandan sun on my skin. It amazes me that she can share this experience as she has it, with me and so many others though she is in such a remote location. Thanks for sharing Melody.

As a consultant, I'm grateful everyday for the wonders of technology. My clients don't know if I'm sitting in my office, on a beach in Hawaii or on the deck in my backyard. In the main, I can work anywhere. And that is a great thing.

Enjoy this beautiful day.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your comment Jackie! I agree about the ability of technology to help us connect. When I lived in Syria I often wondered how overseas teachers did it when the only way to communicate back home was by letter, now appropriately referred to as snail mail ;)

    Yesterday I bought myself a Ugandan cell phone. It is just so nice to send a text message home and get a reply within minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jackie - doubt I would have survived the boot camp introduction to advanced education without your support!

    /g

    ReplyDelete