Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Company of Women

"The loneliest woman in the world is a woman without a close woman friend". - George Santayana -


Today I met four friends for a belated birthday lunch (mine). We five haven't worked together for more than seven years and I don't see them often. But I realized that no matter how much time passes, we are connected by a bond, not just of friendship, but of womanhood. We still speak in a kind of shorthand - keeping track of one another's triumphs and trials.


Tomorrow I will meet another set of women for a belated birthday dinner (mine again). What I thought was dinner with my friend Judy, has morphed through Judy's efforts, into a dinner with the mothers of the boys who make up Jacob's group of friends. What a terrific idea. For six years we have shared our children's triumphs and trials. These women watched out for my son through some tough times. They dropped food off to my door when I was sick. They drove Jacob around so I wouldn't have to worry about staying up late to pick him up. Knowing they were quietly in the background if needed, gave me a great deal of comfort in a difficult time. I like to think I've been helpful to them too. I've fed their kids and driven them around. I've nursed their boys through heartaches and listened to them pour out their fears. I've tried to make our home a soft place to land because I know that it is true for almost all teenagers - sometimes it's just easier to talk to someone who isn't your parent. And I did this with the absolute confidence that they will do the same for Jacob when he needs it. This will be the first time we have met as a group together without our children. I hope we'll make it a regular event.


Sometime this week I will also have dinner with my sisters and our friend Geraldine and her daughters who are grown. Another group to share a connection that only happens between women.


I'm having a good week.




No comments:

Post a Comment