Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Making Jacob's Bed

"College is the best time of your life. When else are your parents going to spend several thousand dollars a year just for you to go to a strange town and get drunk every night?" ~David Wood


Yesterday Jacob got his dorm assignment for September. He didn't get a room in the building he had hoped for but he did get a private room in the South Building at the University of Guelph. We saw the rooms in that residence when we toured the university in May. It will be fine. The rooms are pretty small but they are fairly new. He will share a bathroom with six other guys but that's better than the 1:25 ratio in some of the other dorms. The beds looked like they had prison mattresses on them so I will be buying a new mattress to bring on move in day. I've also ordered a small fridge for his room. Today I bought bedding.

I don't have the impression that Jacob cares all that much just what his dorm room looks like. His head is in the logistics of moving his computer and choosing a new laptop. Mine is into sheets, comforters, towels and creature comforts. I took great pains to choose bedding that I thought would work well for a university student - enough like what he has at home to be comfortable and different enough to show some adult style. He says it's fine. I looked at all the towels but ultimately didn't buy any. I thought maybe he would want something other than white but I was wrong. So tomorrow I will go back and pick up the very fluffy white towels I saw today.

The last time I spent so much effort in putting together Jacob's room, is when I was pregnant with him. I carefully chose his jungle wallpaper and the zebra comforter for his crib. I wanted him to be happy, to feel comfortable and secure. I guess I still do.


No comments:

Post a Comment