Thursday, July 9, 2009

All My Children

"Time and experience have taught me a priceless lesson: Any child you take for your own becomes your own if you give of yourself to that child."
- Dale Evans -


I've been thinking a lot about how my life will change when Jacob leaves for university this fall. I know most mothers experience some angst when their children leave home but I think it may be especially hard for those of us who have raised only children. There was a time when I fretted about Jacob being an only child. It wasn't our plan but it is the way it turned out. When he was small, I was often asked why I didn't have another. I still get asked sometimes. Over time I formulated my standard answer - God gave me one perfect child and no more. I do not question the wisdom of God.

In thinking about the days that are coming when Merv and I will be empty nesters, I've realized that what concerns me isn't just the absence of Jacob from our house. It is also the absence of the boys who Jacob has embraced as his brothers and we have embraced as our children. I love these boys. They fill my home most weekends. I feed them, clean up after them and drive them around. They share their hopes and fears, victories and heart breaks with me. They've given me the gift of their parents, some of whom have become part of my closest group of friends.

Like Jacob, most of the boys will be leaving Toronto to go to university in the fall. I expect their trips home will be all too infrequent for them to have much time to gather here. But I hope they will still find the time to be in touch with me. Only two of the boys will remain to study in Toronto and I've asked them to assure me they will still let me feed them from time-to-time. I'm hoping their mothers will insist that they do.

Jonathon, Wen-Hao, Robbie, John, Anthony and Sasha, please don't forget your other mother. I promise I won't forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment