Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Channel Surfing

I wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work. ~Author Unknown


Television is getting worse. We have access to nine hundred channels in our house and I still can't find anything to watch. It isn't just that the good shows are in reruns, it's that there wasn't much on to begin with. A few seasons ago we had The West Wing. I liked it a lot. It was good drama that entertained me and gave me something to think about. But even in it's final two seasons, it seemed to lose it's luster. Then we had Desperate Housewives, which was really fun until it got completely ridiculous. Then came Grey's Anatomy with it's gripping and complex relationships. A couple of years ago, Grey's broke my heart with the death of Denny Duquette. But this last season, the bloom dropped off the rose and I stopped caring about Izzy's angst, Merideth's nuttiness or McDreamy's disfunction. The only series I still loved to watch last season was "Big Love" and it isn't showing in reruns.

What happened to the days of intriguing summer replacements? Seems that all I see when I tune in these days are reality shows. Apart from watching American Idol and the occasional episode of the Apprentice or Project Runway Canada, I can't seem to get interested in reality TV. I've yet to see a single episode of The Bachelor, Big Brother or The Amazing Race.

I loved summer when I was a kid and I didn't look forward to the onset of fall and the return to school. But I did console myself with the knowledge that at least reruns would be over and I could get back to my beloved shows. Nowadays there are fewer episodes produced each year of all the shows and we're offered reruns for longer than we are offered new episodes in the regular season.

Maybe the next fall line up will bring us new treasures but I'm not counting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment