Thursday, July 2, 2009

Life Savours - Not The Cherry Kind But Just as Sweet

Welcome to my new blog - a delightful birthday gift designed by Jacob and given to me by my dear friend Gail. A few weeks ago Gail let me know that she hired Jacob to design a blog for me to encourage me to begin writing again - something I haven't done for a few years. Gail did not know until recently, that at one time I wrote poetry, speeches and presentations often while soaking in the bathtub in the mornings, but it has been a long time. When Gail let me know about this blog, she did so because I needed to choose a name for it. Several years ago I wrote a speech for my Toastmasters group about those moments that make up my life that come unexpectedly but that are so sweet I like to bank them within myself so I can take them out and savour them again and again. I call them my Life Savour moments - not the cherry kind but just as sweet. So I chose "Life Savours" as my blog name.

Life Savour moments can come at any time. One of my favorites came on July 1, 1995 when we were celebrating both Canada Day and my fortieth birthday. Late in the evening after a great murder mystery birthday party, a few children gathered on the back deck at my sister Cathy's house to watch some Canada Day fireworks. Jacob wasn't quite four. While the fireworks lit up the sky, the children, unprompted by adults, decided to sing the national anthem. Their sweet voices brought me to tears. I've thought of the magic of that moment many times in the past fourteen years.

I don't know where this blog will take me but I hope to share more Life Savour moments with you over time and I hope you will share yours with me too. Thank you Gail. Thank you Jacob. You've both been a part of many of my Life Savour moments.

3 comments:

  1. And YOU, my darling Jackie are a poem yourself.
    Happy days!
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 02, 2009

    Happy Birthday Jackie. You are a caring and generous person whose friendship I cherish. Enjoy your day. With love from Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see your blog launched on your birthday! Jacob did a terrific job for us.

    I look forward to reading the thoughts you share with us all on your blog. I hope you also post some of your stories and poems.

    Love you,

    Gail
    xo

    p.s.... you are much older!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete