Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Defining My Legacy

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."
- Woody Allen -


The last couple of weeks have brought frequent news of celebrity passings and news of some non-celebrity deaths closer to home. I spent the morning at a funeral last week. Merv will spend the evening at another tonight. My sister lost a co-worker, the friend of a friend lost a son. More than a billion people watched the Michael Jackson memorial yesterday. Today the business oriented social media site, Linked-In, is filled with questions about how we would like to be remembered and what legacy we want to leave the world.

I actually gave this matter quite a lot of thought a few years ago when I attended the funeral of a friend's family member. The deceased woman's son gave a wonderful eulogy for his mom and it set me to thinking about what my son would say about me and what I want to be able to say to myself in the last days of my life. I got pretty clear about what I want others to say about me but it took a bit longer to really connect with the other part. Nothing like a cancer diagnosis to give me a bit more clarity around that one.

For myself, I want a life lived fully and richly. I've tended to think there was a lot of time to do the things I really want to do and see the things I really want to see. I'd still like to think that there are many years ahead, but the unexpected deaths of 50 year old celebrities makes me think maybe I should seize the moment just in case. (Note to self - start checking out airfare to Italy.)

As to what I want others to say about me, I go to the heart of what I value most - motherhood, family, friends and service. I want Jacob to say I did my best to give him the best. That he was well loved, and well-raised. I want my family and friends to say I had a warm and generous heart.

And somewhere, in some way, I want to leave my mark on the world. To know that I left it a better place on my way out than it was on my way in. I haven't quite figured that part out yet but I hope I have a lot of years to work on it.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie

    You do have a warm and generous heart. I also think that all the work you do to bring the issues of breast cancer and the need to fund support, are part of the rich legacy you are building. I'm glad to be on the journey with you!

    /g

    ReplyDelete