Monday, August 1, 2011

Water Baby

"There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude and peace. The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten. It is an antidote to insecurity, the open door to waterways of ages past and a way of life with profound and abiding satisfaction. When we are part of a canoe, we are part of all that canoes have ever known."- Siguard Olson


A leisurely weekend spent at Cath and Stan's lake house brought opportunities for new experiences on the water. Though I love the water and am truly happiest when I'm near it, until yesterday, I have never been in a canoe or a kayak. That changed yesterday morning when Cath suggested we get into her canoe (a first experience for her too) and paddle around the lake. Two hours later, Merv and Stan were in the pontoon boat looking for us. They weren't expecting us to be so long and had started to worry a bit. They found us happily paddling back to the lake house, invigorated from our exploration of the lake.

Later in the afternoon, some friends from the adjoining properties stopped by to share happy hour. They suggested that we try kayaking. So this morning they appeared with kayaks for us to try. There is something about paddling in a kayak. It is a solitary experience, peaceful and self-contained. Though it had been suggested to me that it takes a bit more practice than canoeing, I took to it like I have been doing it on my life. Two minutes of instruction lead to ninety minutes of paddling around the lake. I absolutely loved it.

As I did last night, I will take a couple of pain killers before I go to bed tonight. As wonderful as the experience was, I worked a couple of sets of muscles this weekend that haven't been worked before. I expect as I did last night, when my head hits the pillow, I will sleep like a stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment