Sunday, August 14, 2011

In Her Own Bed

"A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running."
- Groucho Marx


My mom was released from the hospital today and returned to the Houses of Providence where she is snugly sleeping in her own bed. I am very relieved and very happy.

It has been a busy day. Tonight we hosted Jacob's and Jonathan's 20th birthday party. I ran around much of the afternoon getting things ready for tonight. Before the guests arrived, I went next door to attend an open house being thrown by our neighbours. Then I came home to start dinner for what turned out to be fourteen of Jacob's friends plus Merv, myself, Brian and Geraldine. Sushi, a large crudite plate, Caesar salad, chicken wings, beef tenderloin and rolls made up the meal. For dessert there were brownies and a large birthday cake. Judging from the little that was left, I think the food was a hit.

It's after midnight now and I've just finished cleaning up the kitchen. It has been good to hear the sounds of the kids in the house. I am exhausted. It's time to head up to bed. There are a mound of backpacks and pillows in the entry hall. That tells me there will be a lot of mouths to feed at breakfast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment