Sunday, August 21, 2011

Flights of Fancy

Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away
If you can use some exotic booze
There's a bar in far Bombay
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away
-Lyrics to 'Come Fly with Me' by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen

Part of Merv’s very thoughtful anniversary gift to me on Saturday was a pair of tickets to see Come Fly Away, the music and dancing extravaganza based on the songs of Frank Sinatra. The production is playing at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. We first headed to Tundra in the Hilton for a wonderful meal and then to the theatre, a first time at this venue for both of us. The theatre is modern and attractive. The sight lines and acoustics are excellent. I don’t think there is a bad seat in the house.

Come Fly Away is an 80 minute performance run without intermission. A live band plays along with the recorded voice of Frank Sinatra while a dozen dancers choreographed by Twyla Tharp enchant the audience with their ability to seemingly fly. It was a very enjoyable and uplifting evening.

This afternoon Merv, Jacob, Jacob's friend John and I went on a helicopter tour of the city. Merv bought the tour as a gift for Jacob's and Jonathan's birthdays but as Jonathan has left for a family vacation, John took his spot on the chopper. It was my first time riding in a helicopter. I was a bit wary. It is not an experience I expected to enjoy. But I actually loved it. It is inspiring to see the city from up high. We certainly do live in a beautiful place. The tour was only ten minutes long. Merv was able to get discount tickets through his company but even at the discount rate, it was the equivalent of $10 per minute, per person. While it certainly was worth it, I'd like to take a longer ride next time.

1 comment:

  1. Ah - you bring back some great memories. I love our skyline by helicopter. Frank & I did one at sunset with champagne and chocolates a few years ago. It was a stand-out experience for both of us. I love the pictures the pilot took of us that day.

    xo

    ReplyDelete