Friday, October 14, 2011

Ouch

“Sometimes people do get hurt” - Mark Twain

It has been a long week filled with lots of work, most of it unpaid and clients who are making unreasonable demands of their ex-employers, not because they really want what they are asking for but because their feelings are hurt. Then there are things going on with my boards which are provoking high emotions and hurt feelings among a whole host of people. I've been soaking in their angst all week. I'm just plain worn out.

Throughout it all, I've hung on all week knowing that today I would have a little break from the madness, though for just a few minutes. Jacob is in town. He is representing the University of Guelph Engineering Department at the annual university fair at the Metro Convention Centre. He came in on the morning shuttle and is returning on the evening shuttle and somewhere in between I was going to go downtown and see him for a couple of minutes. We had agreed last weekend. When I sent him a note yesterday to set up our meeting, he more or less told me that he didn't want me to come. I said "no problem" and swallowed hard. He hurt my feelings.

So instead, I worked this morning and then called Nan. We met downtown to do a little bead shopping on Queen Street before grabbing a bite of lunch. Bead therapy for my hurt feelings. Geraldine called when I got home and asked how my visit with Jacob was. When I told her that I didn't see him after all, and had gone downtown for some bead therapy instead, she suggested a little dog therapy may be more effective. So for the next couple of hours, I have Dora. She was happy to see me. Ger is right. I do feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment