Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Saturday Morning Gift

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless." ~Bill Watterson

It is Saturday morning, clear, warm and sunny. Merv is out golfing. Jacob and Jonathan have just left for their first day of driving classes. Still in my bathrobe, I'm savoring a cup of coffee, about to move to the deck to enjoy a second cup in the warmth of the morning sun.

On any other beautiful Saturday morning I would have enjoyed my first cup there. I would have sat in the quiet doing my crossword puzzles and enjoying the subtle scent of the roses wafting in the gentle breeze. But not this morning. The boys were upstairs in full chatter. If I sat outside, I would have missed the music of their banter. So instead I sat downstairs, not listening to their words, but to the rhythm of their interaction. The house felt full and alive - a gift on this Saturday morning.

My schedule is clear. Dora will be spending the day with me while Ger and Brian attend a wedding. I think we'll take a nice long walk and enjoy the quiet of the day before the boys return from class and fill the quiet with the joy of their chatter once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment