Monday, July 25, 2011

The Livin' is Easy

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

- George Gershwin


I love the heat but even for me, it's been a bit too warm the last week. By last Thursday when the temperatures were topping 39 degrees, I had taken to moving only from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned car and to the air condition offices in which I had to go for meetings. I couldn't even bear to go to Brian and Ger's house for a swim. It would have felt too much like simmering in a slow cooker. I don't know how people without air conditioned homes were coping.

Jacob and Jono decided to spend the weekend in Guelph and I offered to drive them so they could avoid the pain of taking the bus and then having to haul their luggage on the city bus system to reach Jacob's house. What I expected to be a short venture - an hour to drive them and an hour to return, turned into an all day event when a kilometre from reaching Jacob's house he realized he didn't have his key. We had a lot of hours to kill before one of his roommates arrived. We made the best of the afternoon whiling away some time at the pub and then doing some shopping. It wasn't the day I planned but at least I had some unexpected time with my boys. Merv was in Chicago for a couple of days and I had planned a couple of stolen hours to see the new Harry Potter movie and an evening swim. It was eight o'clock by the time I got home. I settled for a night of tea and television.

I passed Saturday quietly. Merv came home from Chicago, tired and in need of some R and R. Jacob and Jono were unable to arrange a ride home from Guelph so Sunday morning I drove down and picked them up. By the time I returned to Toronto and then drove to and from my Mom's, I felt like I had been in my car all weekend. Thank God for air conditioning.

Tonight I'll head down to Princess Margaret for my annual MRI. I was going to see Harry Potter this afternoon but my friend Maurice asked me to wait to go with him tomorrow. We agreed to pass on the 3D format. I don't feel the need to be that close and personal with Voldemort.

No comments:

Post a Comment