Sunday, July 3, 2011

Birthday Magic

“It takes a long time to grow young." - Pablo Picasso


I am back at home, having spent the weekend at Cath and Stan's lake house celebrating my 56th birthday. It was a wonderful celebration. The weather was perfect. I was surrounded by people I love. The gifts were generous. The food delicious.

Before all the rest of our company arrived yesterday, Jacob, Merv and Stan went golfing and Cath and I managed to grab a couple of hours of lounge time on the deck. Storms were predicted for late in the afternoon but did not materialize. It was the first time this season that I've been able to enjoy the feel of the sun on my skin. We were outdoors a lot in the U.K., but there was no blazing sun in that time to slake my thirst for warm rays after a frigid winter and a wet spring. Those two hours made me feel renewed.

After I headed to the shower and dressed to welcome the rest of the gang, I had a hard look in the mirror. I decided things aren't actually so bad. I don't look a day over 55 - well maybe just one.

The best part of my birthday, though, was just having time to sit back and enjoy the company of friends and family. We sat at the lakeside bar, took a cruise on the pontoon boat, talked and laughed. After an excellent beef tenderloin dinner, capped with lemon cupcakes, we enjoyed a fireworks display on the water right across from the lake house, courtesy of the Belmont Lake Residents' Association. Apart from mosquitoes the size of sparrows, it was perfect.

So here I am. Fifty-six. Content. And so very grateful for a chance to celebrate another birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment