Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Birthday Brian

"The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always being asked to do things, and yet you are not decrepit enough to turn them down."
- T. S. Eliot


Our dear friend Brian turned sixty-five yesterday. After a lot of discussion about how his special day would be celebrated, Geraldine and I decided to throw a small, casual dinner party at their home. We planned a buffet meal that could be eaten wherever the 22 guests chose, at a poolside table or in the house. We laid out a few appetizers - a couple of cheese plates, a veggie platter and an antipasto platter and then served a simple dinner of maple glazed salmon, peppered beef tenderloin, caprese salad, green salad and rosemary roasted potatoes. For dessert there was birthday cake, a fruit platter and cookies. Everything was yummy.

A couple of Ger's sisters were there including Beverly. Though I have exchanged several e-mails with her and we are Facebook friends, it was the first time I've met Beverly. She is in the middle of chemo, a bit frail and in a considerable measure of pain. But she is lovely, wearing my old wig far better than I ever looked in it. A few of Brian's and Ger's oldest friends were there - some I recognized from his sixtieth birthday party but none that recognized me. When Brian turned sixty I didn't have a hair on my head and had long given up wearing my wig in the face of a scorching summer. There were few people who met me in those days who could see much more than the shine of my head. I didn't bother to remind anyone of our first meeting.

The night air was very warm and I had hoped to swim after all the other guests had gone. But the mosquitoes were biting and I was tired after a long day of shopping and cooking so I passed on a late night dip. It is a gorgeous day today. The sun is shining and the air is not so heavy as yesterday. I think the pool is beckoning me for an afternoon splash.

No comments:

Post a Comment