Friday, July 8, 2011

The Lazy Days of Summer

"Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world." ~ Ada Louise Huxtable


I can hardly believe it is Friday night and almost a whole week has passed since my birthday. It has been a busy week with client work and work for my boards but no matter how much is on my plate, I don't feel stressed in these lazy days of summer. There is something about taking my computer out to the deck and working in the warm breeze that makes it impossible for me to fret. I'm definitely a summer baby.

Last night I enjoyed a leisurely dinner in Yorkville with my friend Nancy. Time alone with Nancy is a luxury we rarely have. We had a delicious meal and a long chat. It was a really good night. Around eleven o'clock, Sara called on my cell phone to see if she could drop over to show me her new dress so I could give her my stamp of approval. Of course, she is a beautiful girl and she would look great wearing a potato sack. She was especially lovely in her yellow silk dress. When she left around midnight, I tumbled into bed and slept like a stone.

Today has been a quiet day. Other than being home to let in the window cleaners I had no plans. My sister Nancy was in the neighbourhood to attend a funeral this morning so she stopped by. We sat on the deck for a few hours enjoying the warm sun and the splendor of the ravine. When she left I went to the grocery store. Jonathan is staying with us this weekend. He and Jacob are starting their driving classes tomorrow so I want to be sure they are well fed tonight.

This will only be the third or fourth time I've seen Jono since he got home from school in April. I've missed him so much. I plan to cater to his every desire this weekend in the hopes that he'll find a little extra time to spend with us before September pulls my boys away from me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment