Sunday, September 27, 2009

H1N1 and Other Mysteries

"I reckon being ill as one of the great pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work till one is better." - Samuel Butler


Maybe it's just me but I'm totally confused about this year's flu season. Every day for the past week, the news has had a different take on what we should be doing to combat the flu apart from hand washing. First we were encouraged to get a flu shot along with an H1N1 shot. Then there was talk that a traditional seasonal shot could raise the risk of getting H1N1. So the news changed to perhaps just getting the H1N1 vaccine. Then we heard that it was okay to have both on the same day. Next it was news that H1N1 vaccines wouldn't be available to the general public until after the seasonal flu shots had been given in November. I don't know what in the heck I'm supposed to do.

I'm a bit bewildered as to why the information has been disseminated in the way it has. Surely the Public Health Department could avoid a lot of grief by waiting to voice an opinion until they actually have one that they are likely to hold for more than a day. It would be a lot less confusing for a whole lot of people. At the rate they're going, I expect they could change their position a dozen more times before the shots actually become available.

In the meantime, I've put a bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse and I'm going to become the new Lady Macbeth of hand washing.

No comments:

Post a Comment