Thursday, September 3, 2009

Transition

"Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Jacob's moving day is less than 48 hours away. I thought we had everything ready but this morning he decided he wanted a T.V. for his room and he needed a new bluetooth mouse for his computer and a few personal items and a few pieces of clothing. So one more shopping trip ensued. I'd like to think we're done but I doubt it. I'm reasonably certain tomorrow will bring the need to pick up a few more forgotten items. I don't really mind. It gives me something concrete to do - a physical way to prepare for this transition.

I keep telling myself that is what it is after all. It's not an ending; it's a transition. It is the culmination of everything we have worked to prepare Jacob for these past eighteen years. He is a fine young man. He has his feet firmly on the ground and a good head on his shoulders. I expect he will at times feel a little homesick. I expect he'll have his lonely moments. I expect sometimes he will be scared. I also expect he will revel in his new found freedom. He will do well at school. He will make many friends. He will grow and thrive.

On my part, I expect I will have my lonely moments. I expect that I will have a few sleepless nights. I expect that I will feel a little lost. I also expect that I will revel in my new found freedom. I expect I will have more time and energy to put into growing my business. I will reconnect with my many friends. Merv and I will remember the fun we had when it was just we two. It is a transition. We'll get through it. We will grow. We will thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment