Monday, September 14, 2009

A Satisfying Soreness

“When we become aware that we do not have to escape our pains, but that we can mobilize them into a common search for life, those very pains are transformed from expressions of despair into signs of hope.” - Henri Nouwen



My arms are aching this morning from my crew activity at The Weekend to End Breast Cancer. Last year my feet were aching from doing the walk, but this year it is my arms that took the strain from pumping water into the bottles and cups of the walkers. It was a wonderful weekend. We could not have asked for more beautiful weather. The walkers were upbeat and my post the first day was at an elementary school in a wonderful Italian neighbourhood where the neighbours offered espresso and water and the nonas baked cookies and cake to share with the crew and walkers.

Yesterday our station moved to the finish line where we were ready to welcome walkers and crew with lots of food and drinks. I met wonderful people, listened to their stories, cheered as they walked the pink carpet and cried as they cheered we survivors in to closing ceremonies.

Yesterday morning I registered to walk next year - for what I think will be my fourth and final walk. I'm more than happy to crew but I do find the walk grueling. Nonetheless, I promised my great niece Emily that I would walk with her when she makes her first walk at 16 and that will be the event next September. A name change announced yesterday will mean that we will be walking at "The Weekend to End Women's Cancers" - a smart evolution for the event as we now have so much information that links all women's cancers. And like the seven Toronto based WTEBC events that preceded it, I know the 2010 WTEWC will be filled with tears and laughter, joy and pain, struggles and victories. And on the day after the event, the satisfying soreness that I'm experiencing today will be back in my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment