Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tests and Exams

“The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.” - Tom Bodett


The last couple of days have been brutal, in the business sense. Some serious problems requiring a great deal of my time and energy arose at one of the agencies where I sit on the board. It's not that I can't take it in stride, it's just that I hate seeing how much it upsets other people. It will, no doubt, all get resolved but feelings and reputations will be unfairly bruised in the process. I'm still trying to figure out why people just can't be kinder to one another.

My early morning found me downtown trying to deal with issues. Traffic was horrible and though I left very early, it took me more than an hour to get where I needed to go. I was fortunate enough to find a parking spot on the street in front of the building. I ran outside twice to feed the meter. I know the parking cops are on the street regularly checking parking validations. I got waylaid on my way to the elevator when leaving. The five minute delay in getting to my car cost me $30. I swear the cop must have been standing next to my car waiting for the clock to turn over so he could issue the ticket.

I needed to race home to meet the painter who was coming in to do the colour match for the painting that will now be starting Friday instead of Thursday. I'm starting to think I may pass on putting up two trees this year. Perhaps we will settle for just one tree downstairs. It's going to be hard enough to get the house ready for Christmas once the painters are done. I am scheduled to do a mediation on the 17th (my first in the role as mediator) and the painters don't expect to be finished until the 16th. Challenges abound. Much of the last few days has felt like a colossal test of my juggling skills.

After getting off a late board call tonight, I texted Jacob to see how he is doing. He is in the middle of exams and I'm trying to be extra supportive. He's not having a good day. For a start, he is sick again, struggling with a sore throat, congestion and fatigue. He is tired of the food at school. Tired of his "jail cell" dorm room. Worried about his mechanics exam. He wants to come home. I offered to drive to Guelph, and check him into the hotel across the street from campus where he could enjoy a large, comfortable bed, peace and quiet and room service. I offered to pick him up and bring him home for the weekend. I offered to bring him homemade soup and a humidifier for his room. He declined all offers. He says as long as he knows that I will be here when he gets home on Tuesday after his last exam, he will be all right. He can tough it out. I admire that he is being so brave. It's good to know he misses home so much but I wish it was easier for him. As much as he misses being here, it's not nearly equal to how much I miss having him here. He's being brave. Me - not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment