Tuesday, December 15, 2009

No More Sleeps

“Never invest in anything that eats or needs painting” - Billy Rose


One of our painters went home sick yesterday and by this morning they were dropping like flies. We have two painters left which means there is no way they can finish tomorrow. The crew supervisor is now telling me Friday will be the completion date. The painters don't look so sure. I'm hoping they can at least finish the living room and dining room today so we can begin to put some order back into those rooms. It's going to take me a couple of days to refill the cabinets and get those rooms in order for Christmas. I also can't manage to stay in the house with the painters for the next four days so I've finally broken down and given the painters a key. Jacob and I will be home tomorrow when they are here but I'm out at mediation on Thursday and I'm sure Jacob will be visiting his friends. The painters seem like good guys so I will just trust that all will be well.

The end of exams finally comes for Jacob this morning. Merv and I will be driving to Guelph this afternoon to pick him up. I've been like a little kid these past two weeks, counting the number of sleeps until Jacob's arrival home for the holidays. I got up this morning with a sense of excitement. No more sleeps. Today is the day he is finally coming home. In a few minutes I will head out to the grocery store to lay in a supply of comfort foods. I plan to fatten Jacob up a bit while he is home.

I attended a moms dinner last night hosted by Antoinette, mother of Anthony, one of the seven boys who I count as my sons. Only Judy, Nancy and I were able to get there in this busy holiday season. But we had the unexpected pleasure of being joined by Antoinette's husband, John and Nancy's husband, Aivers. Antoinette is a great cook and she made a delicious meal which left me completely stuffed. Anthony is home from school for the holidays so I got a chance to hug and kiss him. He lives in residence at York University's Glendon College which is only about two kilometers from our house. As much as I had hoped he would come and visit, he has not, nor has Robbie, who attends University of Toronto. I bought Olympic gear for each of my seven boys and sent five of those items as care packages to the other boys. I was holding out with Anthony and Rob in the hope they would visit me but I brought Anthony's last night and sent Robbie's home with Judy.

I'm hoping all my boys will find some time to gather here during the holidays. I miss them all so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment