Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Reflections on a Year Gone By

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
~Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1850

I've heard many people say in the last days of this year that they will be happy to see the end of 2009. Newscasters, political pundits, economists and friends speak of what a difficult year it was and for many, that was their reality. On balance, though, it was not mine. Though 2009 brought some challenges, it brought many more gifts.

2009 was a year of reconnection. After more than thirty years, I reconnected with my dear friend Miriam. She sent me a letter last spring though with no phone number or email address attached. Through the wonders of the internet, I tracked her down and called her within ten minutes of receiving the letter. It has been truly wonderful. I also reconnected with my friend Sheila and several old friends and colleagues who live outside of Canada. Those connections were a gift from LinkedIn. A family wedding reconnected me with my cousin Francis in Michigan. That has been a true blessing.

2009 was a year of new friendships. Jacob's friend Jonathan has been a member of our family for these past four years and though I love him like a son, it was not until this year that I really became friends with his other mother, Josee - the one who gave him birth. I don't know why it took so long but getting to know Josee and the other members of Jono's family has been a great gift. My friendships with others whose children have filled my home these past years have also deepened in 2009. I feel so blessed to have these wonderful people in my life, most especially Judy and Marc, Samia and Pietro and Nancy and Aivars.

2009 was a year of transition. Jacob graduated from high school with honours and awards and made a successful transition to university. Merv and I managed to successfully transition to life in our empty nest. It is definitely different but a year ago I wasn't sure if I could even survive it. I've done just fine.

2009 was a year of exploration. We spent two weeks in Hawaii in March for our last spring break family trip. In October, Merv and I spent nine days in Rome. Both were amazing holidays and both were high up on my bucket list.

2009 was a year of professional challenge and growth. The demands of my board work escalated. Some of that was great - some less than great. But at the very least it has always been stimulating. I've had some great work assignments this year from team building in Calgary to a successful resolution in my first assignment as a mediator. I've done fraud investigation, policy development, merger and acquisition support, recruitment and business development. I've had work when I needed it and time off when I needed that. In January, I will start a three month consulting contract at my beloved Willow where I will be taking a hiatus from the board while I work at the agency. I am hopeful that the new year will also bring more mediation work.

So 2009, thank you for each day - the gifts and the challenges. I am smarter and wiser than when you started. 2010, bring it on. I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment