Friday, December 18, 2009

A Strong-Willed Mediator

“This is a strong-willed mediator who does not want to declare the mediation process dead yet.” - Ken Wasch

Jacob is home and all is right with the world. We picked him up late Tuesday afternoon. He looks wonderful, still struggling with a cold but getting a bit better each day. I'm feeding him well and hugging and kissing him a lot and he's letting me. Today he and I will do some Christmas shopping - I have only a little left to do - really just Merv and I need Jacob's help for that. It's good to have my techie home.

The house painting will be finished today. The painters have done a great job. They've been working long hours because of their diminished numbers and have been trying in earnest to finish as quickly as possible to enable me to get my house ready for Christmas. This morning they told me how much they have enjoyed being in our home as they sense it is filled with love and they are happy to be here in this Christmas season. For the first time this year, I can say I'm really happy with the service that has been provided through a home renovation company. I will be recommending this company, Finer Edge and these men in particular, to everyone I know who is looking for painters.

Yesterday I launched my mediation practice with an employment dispute between an engineering firm and a long-time employee. Neither side went into the mediation with much optimism that a resolution could be reached but I was determined to get us there. Unfortunately we didn't quite make it but the process is not over yet. It took much of my day to get any movement on one side but once we were there, we began to gain momentum. As the day unfolded, the parties threw hurdles into my path - one after the other. The corporate representative didn't have the authority to make a deal. We started late to accommodate travel needs but a certain party neglected to tell us that she was required to leave early to attend to a family commitment. High emotions and hurt feelings needed a great deal of massaging. We ran out of time. The good news is that the parties all agreed to reconvene next Wednesday and try to get the rest of the way there. I'm hoping the Christmas spirit will have invaded all their psyches by then and we will actually reach an agreement that will make everyone feel like they've won.

No comments:

Post a Comment