Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mediating in the Christmas Spirit

It came without ribbons, It came without tags, It came without packages, boxes, or bags. Christmas can't be bought from a store... Maybe Christmas means a little bit more. - Dr. Seuss

Today was day two of the mediation I started last week and as I had feared, the loss of momentum from the first day, started us on the wrong foot this morning. One of the parties was experiencing some buyer's remorse and wanted to roll back the concessions he so grudgingly made last week. Once again, neither party was optimistic that we would reach a deal today. If anything, the divide seemed a little wider than when we started. But it is Christmas week and I went in to this mediation with the firm resolve that we would settle it. I called upon the spirit of the season, massaged a lot of feelings, listened to a lot of angst, ran up and down the stairs a few dozen times (parties on different floors) and hoped with all my might. After five hours, we signed a deal. Handshakes, hugs and Christmas wishes ensued.

I have now put aside all work and thoughts of work until after Christmas. A little more decorating has been done. A few more presents have been wrapped and placed under the tree. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve - my favorite day of the year. Joy to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment