Thursday, August 20, 2009

White Lace Memories

A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year. ~Paul Sweeney

Twenty years ago on this date, Merv and I tied the knot. Our wedding didn’t go exactly as planned but it was absolutely perfect. Our plan was to marry in the garden of McLean House. A flute, violin, cello trio was playing as our guests gathered at the site of the wedding. My mom and dad would meet me at the bottom of the stairs in McLean House and walk me to the place where my handsome groom stood with the minister in the garden. A couple of minutes before the ceremony was to begin, the rain came. The wedding would take place in the living room instead. I found myself required to take the walk down the winding staircase in full view of our guests. My dress was long, my bouquet heavy. I was worried that I would trip. I didn’t know where Merv would be standing or where I would be walking. But it all unfolded perfectly. We were surrounded by the people we loved most. As soon as the ceremony was complete, the sun came out and continued to shine for the rest of the day.

Twenty years is a long time. By our first anniversary we had lost Merv’s dad. By our second anniversary we had Jacob. By our third, we had lost my father and both of my aunts. We have lived in three houses. We’ve faced life threatening illness. We’ve travelled to many places and held several jobs. We’ve known economic lows and economic highs. We’ve laughed and cried, loved and raged. And here we are. Twenty years later. Older. Wiser. Still married.

Happy Anniversary Hon.

No comments:

Post a Comment