Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fun in the City

"If a movie is described as a romantic comedy you can usually find me next door playing pinball." - George Carlin


Merv and I went to see a movie last night called The Ugly Truth. The film stars Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler. It's very funny - a romantic comedy sentimental enough to appeal to women with a bit of a crude edge to appeal to men. We both enjoyed it which is a bit of a rare occurrence for us. Merv and I have very different taste in movies. A few weeks ago we joined some friends at Johnny Depp's latest film, Public Enemies. Merv thought it was great. I didn't sleep all night. While he was away in July, I spent an afternoon with Harry, Ron and Hermione at Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I loved it. I'll definitely be adding that one to my DVD collection.

I really like going to the movies. I like watching the film on the big screen, eating popcorn and watching the trailers. I don't like the price of drinks and snacks - I always feel like I'm being robbed. Last night Merv wanted a combo of nachos and a drink. There was a special to add on a hot dog for $2, so I ordered the dog and a small drink. First the kid behind the counter argued with me that I couldn't have the hot dog for $2 because it could only be added to a combo at that price and as he knew Merv wasn't going to eat the hot dog, he couldn't add it to the combo for me to eat. A few terse words from me helped him to change his mind. But a few minutes later he told me the hot dogs wouldn't be ready for another twenty minutes so I was out of luck. A few corn chips with salsa and cheese, a small popcorn (for which I could not get any salt) and two small drinks came to $20. Absolute robbery.

Today we entertained ourselves with lunch in the Distrillery District. We enjoyed some great micro-brewery beers and walked around the galleries. Another wonderful way to spend a vacation day without leaving the city.

1 comment:

  1. Did you try the chocolate in Soma??? Best chocolate in the city!

    /g

    ReplyDelete