Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Let's Go To The Ex

"What harm is there in making 100,000 people happy on a hot summer afternoon?"
-- Gordon McLendon


This glorious summer day found me at my first visit of the two-week season at the Canadian National Exhibition, aka, The Ex. I haven't missed an Ex season in all the thirty four years I've lived in Toronto, except for the year that Jacob was born. I usually go a few times each year, though a lot of people shake their heads and wonder why. Today I shared my visit with Nancy, Jacob and our dear friend Jonathon.

The Ex has changed a lot since I went the first time as a university student. There used to be lots of exhibits, entertainment and free samples. I remember that the grounds weren't spic and span and the crowds were heavy. Now the grounds are kept impeccably clean, the crowds are sparse, there are few exhibits, little entertainment and no free samples. And yet, several times a year I go. One thing there is to attract me, is a fabulous international market with many items to choose from across the spectrum of inexpensive trinkets to exquisite handmade pashminas. I do a lot of Christmas shopping at this market, so much so that I've developed a relationship with Hussein who comes each year to run the Kashmir booth. Every time I wear one of the beautiful wraps I have purchased from Hussein, I am inundated with questions about its origin. I have never seen these wraps sold anywhere in Toronto, at any price. I've bought beautiful silks and embroidered wools.

There are also retail store outlets at the Ex. Some great deals are to be found at The Bombay. And I bought three nice cookbooks for $10. Most of the others don't much interest me but today, Jacob managed to pick up three pairs of jeans and two cleverly sloganed shirts for a grand total of $40.

A buttered, roasted cob of corn, a visit to the farm pavilion to see the newborn pigs and goats, a stroll through the Laboratoire Garnier tent and a stop at the military compound rounded out the day.

Next week I will go back to accompany Jacob's friends Robbie and Matthew for their annual visit. While the boys do their thing, Nancy and I will comb the booths in the international market looking for just the right treasures to slip into some Christmas stockings in December. And we promised Hussein we would stop and share a cup of tea with him. He is a long way from home and seems very happy to see a friendly face he recognizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment