Thursday, May 30, 2013

Up and Down

"If I have to move up in a building, I choose the elevator over the escalator.  Because one time I was riding the escalator and I tripped.  I fell down the stairs for an hour and a half." - Demetri Martin


I'm spending two more days at the Ontario Labour Relations Board this week.  We are in closing arguments for a case that has gone on for more than two years.  While we went in with the expectation that it would be over at the end of tomorrow, it became increasingly more clear as the day wore on that there is no possibility that we will finish this week.

It took me an hour and a quarter to drive in this morning.  It is construction season and the traffic was truly terrible.  I noted when I got to Dundas and Yonge, that the labourer's union representing elevator repairers was picketing on all four corners of the intersection.  Who knew that elevator repairers have their own union?  Interestingly enough, when I arrived at the OLRB today, there was an elevator out, causing significant delays in getting up to the hearing rooms.  When I finally got up to the fourth floor, I noticed that in one of the hearing rooms, the labourer's union was in hearings with Otis Elevators.  I hope the inconvenience of being delayed in getting up to the hearing room helped motivate both sides to work it out.  At the very least, it made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment