Saturday, May 4, 2013

On The Road Again

"I had to stop driving my car for a while...the tires got dizzy." - Steven Wright

As I was creeping through the drive-thru window at McDonalds yesterday morning, I noticed the high-pitched sound of squealing brakes.  I looked around at the other cars in the queue several times before I realized the noise was coming from my car.  I was surprised and not surprised. I've put Buffy through a lot this week.  No wonder she is squealing at me.

Monday was a planned journey to Guelph and back, though the two-and-a-half hour stop-and-start return on the 401 was unplanned.  Tuesday was an uplanned trip to Waterloo, then Guelph and then back to Toronto.  Yesterday was an unplanned trip to Collingwood to pick up Courtney.  Buffy didn't even get to cool off between the two hour drive to Collingwood and the return trip to Toronto.

Her service warranty expired last June.  I loved the luxury of dropping her in for service and not facing a colossal bill when I picked her up.  I'm bracing for the bill that will face me this year.  I know I need a new front tire to balance the one I had replaced in January.  Her squealing brakes are probably indicative of a need for new brake shoes, at the very least.  And the remote functions on my keys aren't working any more.  Cha-ching.  Cha-ching. Cha-ching.  I'll try to find a day in my already jammed schedule next week to take her in for service.  Courtney is back living in Collingwood for the summer.  Jacob is in Toronto.  And so the driving season begins.




No comments:

Post a Comment