Friday, May 10, 2013

Pain


"The aim of the wise is not to secure pleasure, but to avoid pain." - Aristotle

In the early days of last week, I started to notice an aching in my left arm.  It wasn't a terrible aching but the discomfort was enough to keep me from sleeping on that side.  By Saturday, that little ache had turned into a significant acute pain that made me want to scream every time I moved my arm.  By Monday, it was relentless agony.  Tuesday I went to emerg at North York General. Diagnosis:  bicep tendonitis. Treatment: Excercise and take Advil or Tylenol.  Seriously?  Suggesting that I exercise when even the slightest twitch is agony is just bizarre.  And if coping by taking a little Advil or Tylenol could have done the job, I wouldn't have spent hours in the emergency department.

The week has been a blur.  I can't sleep.  I can't bathe because while I can get myself into the tub, I can't get myself out.  I can't concentrate to read.  I can't use my arm enough to be able to do any beading or projects.  Other than to grab a cup of yogurt from the fridge or a pear from the fruitbowl, I cannot put together a meal. And I can't drive.

In a little while I will take a shower and try to begin the difficult process of dressing with one arm. Late this afternoon I have a physio appointment.  I know the therapist well.  She helped me greatly when I was having problems with my back.  I'm praying she will be able to do enough today to at the least move me out of the state of agony.

When I was younger, I had a higher tolerance for pain.  Perhaps because I've had so much of it in my 57 years or perhaps because it's a natural part of aging or I'm just not so brave anymore, I don't tolerate it like I did in my younger years.  God help me.  I need some relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment