Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Latter Day Laugh

"The past may be in tatters
But today is all that matters
Because today is yesterday's Latter Day."
- Lyrics from Tomorrow is a Latter Day; The Book of Mormon

It is crude, crass and completely irreverant.  It's also one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.  Last night Merv and I went to the Princess of Wales to see The Book of Mormon.  Our tickets came as part of our Mirvish subscription series.  Good thing.  There are no tickets to buy. 

For Jacob's birthday last summer, we gave him a certificate good for an evening at the theatre production of his choice, dinner and an overnight stay at a downtown hotel.  He and Courtney wanted to see The Book of Mormon.  As subscribers, we had a chance to buy tickets twenty-four hours before they went on sale to the public.  I asked Jacob to tell me when they wanted to go.  He didn't get back to me for weeks.  By the time he did, there were no tickets to be had.  Too bad because it is one production I know he would have enjoyed.  I will be keeping my eyes open in case there is a late release of tickets or any new shows get added. 

The audience for last night's show was a mature crowd though there were some young teenagers there with their parents.  They didn't belong there.  The show is recommended for audiences over eighteen.  I'm always amazed when parents ignore these recommendations.  In the case of this show, the adults only rating is highly appropriate.

One thing that intrigued me was that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had taken out three full page ads in the program inviting people to learn about Mormonism.  I was wondering after I saw the show if anyone ever does contact them in response to those ads.  Considering that the play is a scathing, satirical indictment of their religion, I guess at the very least, it shows they have a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment