Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sixty-Five Candles

"To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time." ~Clara Ortega


I kicked last week off with a celebration of my big sister Nancy's 65th birthday. The celebration was a welcome change from the sorrow of the days that preceded it. A family dinner on Saturday night was followed by a dinner on Monday for ten of Nan's friends hosted by Cath and I at Jerusalem Restaurant. Part of the great fun of the evening was being entertained by my two sisters who joined in with the restaurant's belly dancer. Nan may be 65, but she can still shake it like a young chick. After dinner we all came back to my place for birthday cake and champagne. We laughed and reminisced. It was a good start to a healing week.

The rest of the week was busy, consumed with work and studies. The coming week promises much of the same. Jacob and I agreed today to try and find a bit of time this week when our schedules will allow us to have a couple of hours together. My calendar is jammed but I will move things around if there is any way possible so that I can have a little face time with him. I know it's only been two weeks since I saw him but it feels so much longer. I can hardly wait to see him.

There was an interesting article in today's Toronto Star about the ill effects the mild winter is having on our environment. I know it's not great for the trees, birds and insects but I must admit, it sure feels good to me.

1 comment:

  1. What a terrific party that was! Nancy was glowing.

    ReplyDelete