Wednesday, January 4, 2012

De-Christmasing

"Christmas is over and Business is Business." - Franklin Pierce Adams


I was happy today that I did not do as much holiday decorating as usual because today I took the decorations down. Jacob's friend Abby is here for a couple of days. She and Jacob very kindly gave me a hand this morning. Six hands made the work go fast and I was so grateful to have Jacob to lug everything downstairs. I'm still fighting my way through the flu and my energy levels are a bit low.

Packing away Christmas is one of those tasks I really don't like. It's not that it's hard but rather that it makes me feel a little bit sad. I so much look forward to Christmas each year that I hate to see it end. And as I normally do so much decorating, the task is large. But as this year I was far less feeling the spirit of the season, I didn't do as much in the way of decorating - not that I think anyone noticed. The two trees were still decorated, the bannister still covered in boughs, Santa stood guard in the foyer and the house was filled with angels. My beautiful Christmas china dinner set accompanied by the matching hand painted crystal goblets made it out from their storage closet but few of my other Christmas pieces did.

A couple of years ago my friend Jen gave me three gold-leafed wooden letters - JOY. I leave them on the table all year long as a reminder that in our home and our lives, joy is not limited to the Christmas season.



No comments:

Post a Comment