Friday, September 10, 2010

Preparing for My Journey

"To walk fast, walk alone. To walk far, walk together" - Anon

I'm still sick with a wicked cold but I'm on the mend. The congestion which had moved into my chest yesterday has abated and moved back into my head. While it makes me feel a little miserable, I can cope with that. Chest congestion is another story. So I am confident and relieved that I will be able to start my long walk tomorrow at the Weekend to End Women's Cancers. My friend Geraldine reminded me last night that I have walked in far more difficult circumstances than dealing with a head cold. And of course she is right.

This afternoon I will go to Shoppers Drug Mart and lay in supplies for the weekend - mole skin, blister bandages and a bottle of Aleve. The day is supposed to be dry tomorrow so I'm not expecting the same blister problem I dealt with the last time I made the 60k journey. Sunday's weather forecast is a little bit iffier but I will manage no matter what.

Turns out my great niece Emily isn't feeling well and won't be walking this year after all. As I'm fairly sure this is my last year for walking, I won't be able to make her first walk with her. But whenever she decides to do it, I will support her by crewing and I will be waiting at the finish line to welcome her in. At this juncture, Emily's mom, Kelly is also uncertain if she will walk this weekend. So it may turn out to be just me, Nancy and Aivars. No matter. We will have a good time taking the journey together. I can hardly wait to see Aivars in his pink sequined shirt.

My experience with the weekend has taught me that it will be a journey filled with unexpected gifts. I will report back on Monday.

Hope this weekend takes you on a gift-filled journey of your own. If you are the praying kind, I'd sure appreciate it if you would put in a word for me to help me along my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment