Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dinner Party

"The oldest form of theater is the dinner table. It's got five or six people, new show every night, same players. Good ensemble; the people have worked together a lot."
- Michael J. Fox


Merv and I hosted a small dinner party for eight last night with some friends we haven't seen for a long time. I wrestled with what to serve that would be special but wouldn't consume my day in preparation. I turned to the recipes collection from the LCBO and settled on Beef Tenderloin with Figs and Shallots. Definitely a keeper. I started with a caprese salad with prociutto, added rice with pine nuts, mixed mushrooms and asparagus to the main course and served poached pears in port, cream puffs drizzled in chocolate sauce and chocolate petits fours for dessert. It was a tasty and easy meal.

The dinner conversation was lively and engaging. Our friend Marg regaled us with her larger than life tales of the adventures she and her husband Randy have shared. Newlyweds Kelly-Jo and Peter told us all about their honeymoon plans and Cath cleaned up behind me. All in all, a successful and fun night. By 10:30 the guests were gone, the dishes stacked and Merv was ready for bed. I didn't have the energy to tackle washing the dishes and crystal last night so I've left that for this morning. Those fairies I was hoping would come in the night to do it, unfortunately didn't materialize. The truth is, the cleanup isn't all that daunting. It shouldn't take more than an hour. And while I don't have a lot of leftovers, there is enough for my dinner so while I work, I'll think about enjoying them tonight.

It is a beautiful morning. The leaves in the ravine are quickly turning red, orange and gold. I have a date with some orange pearls. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment