Wednesday, September 8, 2010

L' Shana Tovah

"Rosh Hashanah reminds us of the evil of war, the unity of all peoples in their love for their children, their desire for life and the necessity of peace in the world." - Rabbi Dr. Shlomo Riskin

Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown tonight. Merv and I have the honour of attending dinner with Judy, Mark, Robbie and Matthew this evening. This is the second year Judy has invited us to share their new year's meal. Last year only Jacob and I were able to attend. This year Jacob is in Guelph for the start of his school year tomorrow and Merv will join us.

I've been reading and studying a little bit about Rosh Hashana these past few days. For Jews this is a time of reflection, a time of making amends to those they have wronged, a time for asking help to improve those parts of themselves that will help them to live more fully and in greater harmony with the world. Seems like we could all do some of that.

So at Rosh Hashanah, I find myself reflecting on those parts of my own life and asking God to help me live my life in this coming year with courage, balance and authenticity. L'Shana Tovah to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment