Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blistered

"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Unknown

My journey at the 2010 Weekend to End Women's Cancers ended just before four o'clock when, along with my dear friends Nancy and Aivars, I crossed the finish line at the CNE. As in years past, the Weekend was a powerful affirmation of my victory over breast cancer. I am grateful I'm here to make this journey one last time.

The walk this year, is indeed, my final journey. From this point forward I will crew at the WTEWC, donate to the WTEWC, raise funds for the WTEWC. But there will be no more walking. So blistered and swollen are my poor feet, that I did the last 23 kilometres wearing flip flops. And while they are comfortable flip flops, they are less than ideal for making such an arduous journey.

No matter my sore feet. This year's event raised $10.8 for the Campbell Family Institute at The Princess Margaret Hospital. In this economy, that is quite an achievement. So no regrets, blisters and sore muscles will heal. Just gratitude for the 4,600 people who walked the 60k, for my friends Nancy and Aivars who stayed by my side, for my husband who tended to me all weekend with such great and gentle care and to The Princess Margaret Hospital that saved my life. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment