Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tired

"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players." - William Shakespeare


Jacob's birthday party on Friday night was a success. I spent the entire day from early Friday morning preparing for the event. By the end of the night on Friday I was pretty much falling apart. Jacob had neglected to tell me he had invited the party goers to spend the night so I was up at 6:30 on Saturday morning to go to What a Bagel and Longo's so I could lay in a supply of breakfast groceries. I made breakfast for the gang and then did a couple of hours of clean up before Merv and I headed out to St Jacobs for an anniversary party on Saturday.

One of Merv's new work friends celebrated her 25th wedding anniversary at the St. Jacobs Community Centre and Lion's Club starting at 8:30 on Saturday night. We did some wandering in St. Jacobs in the afternoon then checked into the Waterloo Inn to change before retuning to St. Jacobs for dinner at a local restaurant before heading over to the party. A few of Merv's colleagues were there and they seemed nice in the brief introduction we had. Unfortunately the music was so loud that we were unable to have any real conversation. By 11:00 P.M., we were both pretty exhausted so we went back to the hotel. After a decent night's sleep, we spent the day today in Stratford where we had tickets for the afternoon performance of Dangerous Liaisons.

Dangerous Liaisons is a drama set in seventeen century France shortly before the French Revolution. It is an intricate story and the play was well written and well acted. Just the same, it was three hours long. The seating at the Festival Theatre is a little bit uncomfortable - hard seats and little leg room. Merv took a couple of short naps during the first act but I watched it all making a maximum effort to limit the amount of squirming and shifting I did in my seat. We did see some interesting characters though both during the intermission and while waiting for the theatre to open. It took me a couple of minutes to put Margaret Atwood's name to her face and I saw a couple of other personalities I couldn't quite name. By far though, my favourite couple was a man and woman in their mid fifties. He is black. She is white. But they both had their hair dyed in the same unnatural shade of yellow. Hers was frizzy and mid-back length. His was in badly overgrown dreadlocks down to his waist. But the top of his head wasn't braided so he looked like a french poodle with braids. Very strange.

Jacob and his friends must have spent the day here yesterday before heading off to another party last night and one today from which he has yet to return. I know they were here because, of course, the house looks like it has been hit by a bomb. At least it doesn't smell. I will clean it up in the morning after the boys leave for work. For tonight, I'm just plain too tired.

Tomorrow I plan to order Jacob's bed for delivery to his new place on Friday. I have a business lunch scheduled and I need to steam clean the rug that Jacob is taking with him. Merv has rented a truck to take Jacob's furniture to Guelph on Friday. The days before school starts are growing short.

No comments:

Post a Comment