Monday, August 9, 2010

Sprung

The best six doctors anywhere
And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they'll ease
Your will they'll mend
And charge you not a shilling.

~Nursery rhyme quoted by Wayne Fields, What the River Knows, 1990


My life for the past five years has included many visits to Princess Margaret Hospital. It will be five years in October since my breast cancer diagnosis was made. Of course, the year following diagnosis, was one long saga of visits to PMH for surgery, chemo and radiation. Since then, my PMH visits have been about eight per year for scheduled appointments with my surgical oncologist, medical oncologist, MRIs, ultrasounds and mammography. By far, most of those appointments are related to visits to my surgical oncologist.

These frequent trips to PMH are not difficult or traumatic. I'm always treated well and don't usually have to wait long. But every time I go, I wonder if this is going to be my life forever. Will I never find a way to escape the clutches of cancer? Does it have to be in my face all the time? Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for the care. Grateful that good and dedicated medical professionals have been so vigilant and thorough and have provided such good care. I'm just sick and tired of being at PMH.

Today I went to Dr. McCready's surgical oncology clinic for the last time. I didn't know it was going to be my last visit there so I was caught completely off guard.

After five years of frequent appointments and annual MRIs, Dr. McCready told me I don't need to see him anymore. I'm fine. My recent MRI was once again clear. My recent ultrasound was clear. My last mammogram was clear. I will continue my annual visit to the medical oncologist and go back to the same process every other sane woman my age goes through. My family doctor will schedule an annual mammogram and an ultrasound. If something comes up, Dr. McCready will get involved. Other than when walking at the Weekend to End Breast Cancer in September, he doesn't expect to see me again.

I am well. It is a good day - no, it is a great day - and so, I thrive!

1 comment:

  1. Could not be more thrilled for you to have this terrific news Jackie!

    ReplyDelete