Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dora’s New Exploration

“The first step towards getting somewhere
is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are” – Dora the Explorer

Yesterday I was given a most gracious gift – the chance to say goodbye to my darling little friend Dora. We’ve known for some time that Dora is sick with cancer. But still we all hoped for some extra time. As late as a week ago, the vet was saying two more months, maybe longer. Dora spent the weekend with her humans, Brian and Geraldine, at Cath’s lake house. Reportedly, she was frisky on Saturday but sadly quiet on Sunday. Her tumor grew overnight from the size of an egg to the size of a grapefruit. She began to bleed. Their planned long weekend at the lake was cut short. Brian and Ger brought Dora home on Monday and took her to the vet. The vet confirmed she is at the end of her days and while he was prepared to euthanize her then, he could give them some painkillers and they could take Dora home for another day or two. And that is what they did.

Geraldine called me and offered an invitation to drop by and see Dora if I felt I wanted to. I was grateful for the gift of a last couple of hours spent in the company of a little dog I have come to know and love. So yesterday morning I walked down the street. Dora was happy to see me. Though she had been lying very low, she got up to greet me, tail wagging. We lay on the floor together, looking deeply into each other’s eyes. I spoke softly to her and cried. We moved to the couch. Brian took out his camera and took some pictures of Dora and I together, snuggling close for the last time. After a couple of hours, I told Dora I love her and took my leave.

Sometime today, Dora will start a new exploration. And heaven will be blessed with the addition of a new little white angel.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear little Dora was in pain before she passed. She was a major little cutie.

    Gail.

    ReplyDelete