Saturday, August 28, 2010

Jacob's New Digs

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Walt Disney

Merv rented a truck on Thursday night and yesterday we moved Jacob into his new place in Guelph. We had seen pictures of the house and had driven by it but it was our first opportunity to go inside. The house is small but perfect for Jacob and the three friends he will be sharing with. It's fairly new and close to the university on a quiet crescent. Jacob is taking the basement family room as his suite giving him his own bathroom, a couple of small storage rooms and a healthy sized, brightly lit bedroom complete with electric fireplace.

It would appear that the home's last owners did not leave it in the cleanest state possible. My sensitive nose didn't much care for the odor that greeted me as I walked in the front door. Jacob's suite didn't smell but I wasn't enchanted with the cleanliness of the bathroom. So while Merv and Jacob worked to assemble the myriad of Ikea furniture we bought, I headed off to Zehrs for cleaning supplies.

By the early afternoon, I had Febreezed all the carpets, upholstered furniture and drapes in the house. I cleaned Jacob's bathroom to within an inch of its life and then did the same in the kitchen. I unpacked and washed all the dishes, glasses, flatware and appliances (toaster oven, blender, crockpot) I brought, slugged what seemed like a thousand boxes, broke down the cardboard from every over-packaged item and washed the floors. By the end I was aching and exhausted.

Merv drove the truck back to Toronto but Jacob and I stopped to have a bite of lunch. Jacob was famished and falling apart from getting up at 5:00 A.M. to give the boys an early start. I wasn't far behind them and I too was experiencing a few hunger pangs. So Jacob and I had lunch and headed back to the city. He was asleep before we got to the first stop light, a block from the restaurant. I woke him up when we got home.

Today I'm planning a trip to the Ex with Nan. We usually go the first week but didn't manage to fit it in this year. We'll do a bit of shopping at the International pavilion, grab a cob of roasted corn and have some hats embroidered for Nancy and Aivars to wear at the Weekend to End Breast Cancer. Jacob is enjoying Fan Expo with his friends today. I'll invite Merv to join Nan and I at the CNE but I suspect he will opt yo soothe his weary bones with a couple of beers and a sleep on the deck instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment