Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tax Time

The more you earn, the less you keep,
And now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to take,
If the tax-collector hasn't got it before I wake.
~Ogden Nash


I tried to file my income tax today. I had all my information ready including the number Revenue Canada sent so I could file on-line. I got into the Quicken Tax program that Merv had uploaded on our computer and proceeded to fill in the forms. I couldn't do it. No matter how many times I read the help screens, I just couldn't figure out how to claim my self-employed income. It shouldn't be this hard.

Tomorrow Claudia will be coming to clean the house. Among her many talents, Claudia works at H & R Block where she does the taxes for people like me. She will know what to do. In exchange for tax advice, I will make her a nice necklace. She looks at my new pieces whenever I make them and has long wanted something special for herself. She has her skills, I have mine. On April 30, hers count for a lot more. Last I heard, Revenue Canada won't let me pay in pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment