Friday, April 23, 2010

First Job, Next Job

“Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.” - Drew Carey


It is a big day for the Gillson men. After nineteen years with what is now Unity Life, Merv resigned. It was a tough decision for him but he has been less than happy this past year following the merger of Unity Life with Foresters. I think the company took it for granted that the nice guy who works so hard and does so well wouldn’t ever have the audacity to quit no matter how badly they treated him. Big mistake. There are other companies that can clearly see what a great catch Merv is, and one of them caught him.

I remember Merv’s first day of work at Unity. In those days it was called Toronto Mutual Life. It was February 1, 1991. I was three months pregnant. Merv told his new boss that he would need to take a bit of time off in August when the baby arrived. While he was having that meeting, I was at my office having chest pains. A discussion with my doctor on the phone in the early afternoon resulted in a trip to the emergency room at Mt. Sinai. I didn’t want to bother Merv on his first day so my assistant went with me to the hospital. After a few hours she called Merv to let him know where I was and to suggest he make his way to Mr. Sinai after work. Needless to say, I was fine.

Jacob, who was the subject of so much discussion that day, went off this morning to his first job interview. He looked so handsome in his black suit and pink shirt. I heard his alarm go off at 6:30 this morning and when I got up to be sure he hadn’t slept through it, he was already in the shower. He came downstairs with his dress shoes and his shoe polishing kit in hand and asked for a little advice on technique. I made him tea and we sat and talked at the kitchen table.

A few hours later he came home, reported that things had gone well and he hoped to hear from Rogers by early next week. We went out together to get a bite of lunch and run a few errands. While we were sitting in Sierra Grill, his phone buzzed. The woman from Rogers’ H.R. department was calling to make an offer. Jacob starts his new job a week from Monday.

Tonight we will celebrate the success of both Gillson men. Jonathan came home from school yesterday so he will join us tonight for dinner. I’m not sure as yet where I will take everyone but I will, most assuredly, be the proudest woman in the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment