Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

"Twas Easter-Sunday. The full-blossomed trees Filled all the air with fragrance and with joy." ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


It has been an incredibly beautiful Easter weekend, in fact the most beautiful I can recall. The sun has been bright and the air warm. We were able to sit on the deck on Good Friday and enjoy drinks and appetizers right until the time I served dinner. Good Friday was a great day spent in the company of family and friends, and though Gail, Marg and Bob weren't with us and were missed, Marg and Bob called from Istanbul which filled some of the void.

Yesterday was another lovely day. Merv and I again enjoyed time on the deck while the house filled up with Jacob's friends. I served the kids a simple meal of lasagna and cabbage rolls which they gobbled up in minutes. I was admittedly a bit tired from cooking for eleven the day before and didn't have another elaborate meal in me. It was really great to see all the kids, though none of them look like kids anymore. They are so mature now, socially and physically. I've seen the boys over the year and watch their transformation into men, but Lindsay, Emily and Sara also came over yesterday and while I've seen Sara a fair bit, it was the first time I've seen Lindsay or Emily in ages. All three have matured into beautiful, gracious women.

Today we had Easter brunch at Cath's where we enjoyed our meal in the garden. It was wonderful. Normally Cath would make Easter dinner but she very kindly altered her Easter routine to accommodate Jacob's need to return to school this afternoon. Unfortunately, the University of Guelph is not granting a holiday for Easter Monday. Tomorrow Jacob begins his last week of classes for this academic year. In seventeen days, Merv and I will make the drive back to Guelph to pick up Jacob and all his possessions for his return home for the summer. It seems we all survived the trials of first year with a better than passing grades on our report cards.

The coming week is wide open for me. I have no scheduled work commitments save a board meeting on Tuesday night. It's been a long time since I've been without commitments. I'm planning to just enjoy the time for as long as it lasts. I'm reading the second book in a trilogy by Swedish writer Stieg Larsson. If the week stays quiet, I might get to the end of the third book. If you are looking for a great read, start with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo . Stieg Larsson died right after he finished the third book in the trilogy so this is a series to savour - there won't be any more.

Enjoy your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment