Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Champagne Occasions

"I only drink Champagne when I'm happy, and when I'm sad. sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. when I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty." - Lily Bollinger



I've had a very busy few days which provided a number of occasions to indulge in my beverage of choice. Merv left for San Antonio on Saturday morning while I enjoyed the weekend at Cath's lake house with Cath and Stan and our friends Brian and Geraldine. It was a quiet but enjoyable weekend punctuated with numerous games of cards, an afternoon of beading, lots of good food and enjoyable conversation and a considerable number of alcoholic beverages.

Last night I hosted the final moms dinner of the 2009/2010 academic year. Judy, Nancy, Antoinette, Samia and Pona all joined. Only Josee was missing from the evening. The preparation of dinner did present a few challenges. Samia called on Monday night to let me know she would not be joining us. But somehow when I was buying our main course yesterday afternoon, I decided to buy six portions of salmon in case she changed her mind and came after all. When she arrived on my front porch, I was really glad I had. My guests were scheduled to arrive around six o'clock and I planned my dinner to be served at seven. Judy arrived shortly after eight as I was putting dinner on the table - my sweet potatoes being slightly over-baked and my fish unable to wait any longer. Antoinette didn't arrive until well after nine. Unfortunately, Pona's eyesight has now deteriorated to the point that she needed to be served her food and helped with navigating her cutlery as well as being taken to the bathroom and helped to her chair, up and down the stairs etc. She is a wonderful woman and it hurts me greatly to see that she now faces this great obstacle but she is uncomplaining and seems to be managing with grace. I think she had a good time last night. I hope everyone did. I certainly enjoyed myself. And there was champagne.

Tomorrow night I will greet my guests for the Halifax Life Girls Reunion with a good bottle of Moet & Chandon. I'm excited to see them all, and a little bit nervous. It's been a long time. I expect Merv will arrive while we are enjoying our reintroduction. I've made a dinner reservation at a local restaurant for seven-thirty. If the weather is warm we will enjoy our champagne on the deck. I'm sure it will be a great evening. I'll be back with a full report on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment