Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Visit

I've waited
All week
With breathless anticipation.

Lunch
A glimpse into his dorm room
A conversation while looking in his eyes.

I call from my cell phone
We're in the parking lot
He's coming out to meet us

I glimpse the green of his Guiness sweatshirt
He's thin and pale
His hair has grown in.

Brunch at a hotel restaurant near campus
He eats a lot
Roast beef and vegetables, lasagna, chicken and eggs.

You've lost a few pounds
I say as an observation
Trying not to sound critical.

I've been too sick to eat
He responds wistfully
I'll gain it back.

We talk about Italy
And problems with the computer
And the Halloween party he went to.

When do you think you might come home
I ask in a light tone
Trying not to sound needy.

I don't know if I can get home before Christmas
He responds wearily
I have so much work.

Our meal is finished
He has a big assignment to do before day's end
We drive him back.

We help him unload
Coats and boots, towels, a warm blanket made by Aunt Nan
Food for his fridge and Halloween treats.

Love you Baby
See you soon
Call if you need anything.

It's been two hours
We're on our way back
I can hardly breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment