Thursday, November 5, 2009

Small Wonders

"Expect nothing, live frugally on surprise." - Alice Walker


It is gray and raining. The kind of day that makes me want to pull the covers over my head. Tonight Merv and I will be attending Cirque du Soleil which is always fun and uplifting. I need an eyebrow wax and a manicure. I don't know what to wear. I'm pushing the seams on everything I own and somehow haven't been to get myself to stop eating all the leftover Halloween candy that is overflowing the bowl on my kitchen table. I need to get myself together.

I didn't expect to have much to entertain or amuse me until tonight. So I expected little when my Blackberry dinged this morning with a text message. My initial assumption was that it was my dentist hounding me again to reschedule the visit I missed when I was in Rome. Much to my surprise though, it was Jacob. I text with Jacob most days but it is very rare for him to initiate the dialogue. It wasn't an exciting message - a couple of questions about laundry and suede care but I enjoyed it all the same. We exchanged a few notes, and "I love you"s. The day seemed a little brighter.

I've had a four-strand pearl necklace in my head for a few weeks now. I went and bought the pearls yesterday so I decided to put it together today. It would be easier to do on a sunny day. The pearls are dark green and I'm struggling with seeing the holes to string them without strong light. It is good though. I love the feeling of the pearls in my hands.

I took a break from stringing to pour a second cup of coffee. A glance out the kitchen window gave me a view of a fox in the ravine. I watched him hunt for several minutes amazed at how quick and agile he was. At one point he took a great leap at a tree, I assumed at a squirrel or bird but he landed with an empty mouth and continued on his hunt. I was glad I didn't witness the capture of his breakfast. It was wonderful to watch him hunt but I don't want to see the kill.

It isn't even noon. I'm wondering what other small wonders will come my way on this otherwise gray day.

No comments:

Post a Comment