Thursday, June 5, 2014

Magnificent Maleficant

"I call on those who live in the shadows. Fight with me now!" - Maleficant

Lest you think Angelina Jolie's new movie Maleficant is  just a kids movie, be warned that it might be a bit scary for little ones - at least in the 3D format that I saw last night.  A year ago, I might have been wary about going to the theatre to voluntarily see a Disney movie for my own entertainment but I was a huge fan of Frozen when dragged off to the theatre to see it in January.  So when my friend Wendy suggested we spend an evening with Maleficant, I was all in.  Truth be told, I didn't see any children in the theatre last night.

What I did see was a brilliant performance by Angelina Jolie who took a one dimensional Disney character and layered her with complexity.  I think we can all see a bit of ourselves in Maleficent.  The story is a tale of love and loss, revenge and regret, redemption and reconciliation.  It is a beautiful story.  It is also visually spectacular.  I suspect I may find myself sneaking off to the theatre some Tuesday afternoon for another visit with Maleficant.

No comments:

Post a Comment