Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Howard



“Life at best is bittersweet.” – Jack Kirby


He was our miracle man.  A double lung transplant in the nick of time to elate a whole community of people for Christmas.  A few short months later, looking hale and hearty, a role on a television commercial promoting the wonders of organ donation.  I saw the commercial for the first time on Sunday evening just about thirty minutes before he died.  Howard passed away on his 58th birthday after suffering a massive heart attack.  

We had a few good months, a couple of delightful dinners, a lot of laughs, some heart-to-heart discussion.  Howard and Lise returned to their home in Timmins once Howard recovered.  They came back a few weeks ago because he had developed an infection that the doctors in Timmins were unable to get under control.  I spent an afternoon with them week before last.  Howard was afraid but the doctors were reassuring.  They would get the virus under control and he would be fine - back to Timmins in time for the best of fishing season.  It was not meant to be.

Cath called me early Sunday morning to tell me he was on life support.  I went and stayed with her until Stan got home from the lake and they went to the hospital to sit with Lise.  Throughout the day, Cath sent me text messages - he was failing, he was rallying, he was improving, he was failing again.  Eventually she texted that it was just a matter of time.  Then at 9:37, a message "He's fine."  I was bewildered.  I texted back a response saying I didn't understand.  At 9:40 another message "He's gone."  Some would say Cath wasn't doing a good job of hitting the keys on her smartphone and the first message was why predictive typing drives us all so crazy.  I would prefer to think when she typed in "He's gone", Howard changed the message to let me know he is gone from this world but we shouldn't worry because he's fine.  

I hope the fish are plentiful and the skies are blue. You will be missed, my dear friend.

1 comment:

  1. He had the heart of a lion. I will remember his laugh & zest for life. You were a loving friend to him & Lise.

    ReplyDelete